Upgrading Septic Systems
If you live in a high-risk area around a municipal water supply well or surface water intake, you may qualify for funding to help you repair, upgrade or replace your septic system. We may cover 50% of project costs, up to $2,500, for eligible landowners.
What projects are eligible?
- The system must be within a high-risk area around a municipal water supply well or surface water intake to be eligible.
- Repair, upgrade or replacement of an existing private septic system which is faulty or malfunctioning, or is greater than 20 years in age.
- Projects must demonstrate a potential to improve local water quality.
- LSRCA will consider innovative projects if they meet the objective of the category
- Documentation is required that describes why the existing system requires an upgrade. This must be prepared by a licensed septic system installer or a municipal representative.
- Acceptable “proof of age” documentation may include a letter from the municipal building department or health unit, original site plans, permits or installation records.
- Two (2) written quotations based on the existing structure, from licensed septic contractors, with reference to their BCIN, are required with your application.
- Applicants are responsible for obtaining all required permits from their municipality, Health Unit, LSRCA, and others where applicable.
Only complete applications will be considered for funding assistance.
Please contact a Restoration Specialist to verify program eligibility and to answer any questions/concerns you may have about the program and/or the application process. This is a voluntary program and all calls are confidential.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Professional design fees
- Materials and labour associated with an approved project, when delivered by an Ontario licensed septic installer.
- System upgrades to facilitate household expansion (ie: additional square footage or addition of dishwashers, bathrooms or other devices that increase wastewater volume)
- Machinery or equipment owned and used by the applicant, family dependents or the applicant’s business
- Labour of applicant, family dependents or the applicant’s business
- If you have an outstanding violation with LSRCA, you will not be eligible for funding
- Work required as a condition of a municipal planning or LSRCA permit will not be eligible
- Work that proceeds prior to funding approval does not qualify for funding assistance
Be prepared to submit the following with your application:
- Completed and submitted a Landowner Information Form
- Site plan
- Two cost quotations from qualified contractors (with BCIN – Building Code Identification Number referenced)
- Documentation of condition of existing system prepared by a licensed septic system installer or municipal representative
- Documentation of septic age (may include letter from municipal building department or health unit, original site plans, permits or installation records)